October fun facts
https://www.almanac.com/content/month-october-holidays-fun-facts-folklore
#cc6600
Offline
My next door neighbor of 6 yrs "Janie" (single, 64yo, never married) collapsed on her back deck late last month. She had an active social life with many friends and had retired about 6 months after I did. Seems she wasn't discovered until 2 days after her passing.
They have not determined cause of death yet and have sent her to toxicology as it is feared that the recreational pot she smoked was a "hot batch" causing violent convulsions and sending her into a frenzy.
To make matters worse, I don't think she had a will so her younger brother (who by all accounts was her exact opposite) has thrown out absolutely everything of hers, including furniture, clothing, you name it into 2 roll offs and her friends have been around to scavenge what was left including the neighbor across the street.
The brother is in an all fired hurry to sell the house and the entire property has been stripped clean in 3 days with the exception of her car, which is still in the driveway. It is very surreal. I did ask permission to "rescue" a few of her plants as they would not survive without being brought indoors to winter over.
Her cat went to a friend.
I have been voluntarily mowing her lawn just as a favor to Janie.
It makes you think and I'm SO glad I did my estate planning back in July 2024. I also found out that a childhood friend who was a year younger than me passed last year. And more shocking, his younger brother passed in 2013. And then DIL texts me to say that they've found a growth on her younger brother's brain. So worried about him as he has a wife and toddler daughter.
On a brighter note, my fasting has been going well. I've lost about 20 lbs so far and it has taken the pressure off my knee and herniated discs. I'm a lot more mobile! I also am getting gentlemen attention when I go shopping! Of course, Chef hasn't said a thing as usual.
I did break the bank and got a fantastic set of veneers. I go back for the permanent set this Monday.
I'm glad to read all the new updates and I hope there is more positive news in the near future.
Offline

Seeing bad stuff happen is a good perspective builder. At least we're still here to complain about our lives. I recently had a friend die of cancer. She was in her 50's. She was an incredible artist and a genuine person.
Good for you on improving your health! I recently listened to an audio book called "Forever Strong" about women staying healthy as we age. It was a fantastic listen and I learned a lot. I have gotten into better shape and feel healthier after implementing some of her recommendations into my routine.
Last edited by Meera (9/23/2025 11:08 pm)
Offline
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your neighbour and friend. I hope the plants you rescue flourish and it's a reminder of everything you liked about her. I am sorry you have to witness the horrors that people can become after the loss of someone they didn't really know.
Congratulations on the weight loss, I'm on a similar journey so I hope I do as well as you!
Offline

How tragic about your sweet neighbor. ((hugs))
Bravo on the fasting. I'm so glad you feel better!
Offline
YAY!!! Good for YOU. Self care was something that I did not do and when I finally did got rave reviews on it. Everything from fasting and losing weight, to skin care, and now matching lingerie and all that entails. got my hair done with highlights. Ate out at restaurants date night for 1. Go out to see whatever live music I feel up to...
And getting that manly attention is wonderful (since Im now single Im ready to mingle just not all the way).