Step Chat - a safe place where stepparents can vent
Welcome!!!


October fun facts

https://www.almanac.com/content/month-october-holidays-fun-facts-folklore





You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2025 7:05 pm  #1


Hi everyone and news

Finally here from the old site…thanks again Aniki for setting it up!
   Anyway, my partners middle child (L) who I always thought had autism, was suspended last week. Apparently she made a comment during a discussion about school shootings/active shooter drills, saying to a classmate that she wouldn’t let them catch her if she did that, she would off herself first.  My partner was called in along with his ex to talk to the teachers, as the classmate told the teacher.  Turns out that this is the FIFTH time L has made a comment talking about self harm or harming others. The school is having her do work online the rest of the semester and see a counselor once a week.
  I asked my partner if he knew about these incidents. He said he only knew about one. I said “so you were kept in the dark?” He mumbled a bit, obviously on the spot. He also said they brought up testing for autism again, while insisting she was “fine”. I said “well if you  test for it, you can rule it out if she’s “fine.””
  Honestly I’m glad. It’s about time someone who they can’t ignore brought it up. I am so tired of the damn egos and denial getting in the way. It’s so damn obvious something is going on, and has been for years. Now maybe thumbs will come out of backsides and we can actually help this teenager!!

 

9/19/2025 8:43 pm  #2


Re: Hi everyone and news

He only knew about one?! That's awful! Hopefully, she'll get the help she needs.

 

9/20/2025 8:03 pm  #3


Re: Hi everyone and news

This stuff is no joke.
This is the thing though, she doesn’t even hang out with anyone that I know of, not even “bottom feeders”! L just had a birthday and once again, it was family only and just cards and gifts from family. My partners other kids go to friends houses and events, bday parties, and don’t say things like this, are actually polite and considerate bar the usual teen screwups now and again. So it’s not all on the parenting or bad friends, she just blurts out whatever.
And no, it’s not good, and no, it will not help her have a bright future! Idk if it’s ADHD, autism or what, here’s where my frustration comes in, her parents are so busy protecting their own feelings and egos the school has basically played the only hand it has to get them to do something other than deny, deny and excuse things.
I’m hoping this will get them to face facts and help her, because I’m betting she won’t go anywhere or do anything if she’s unable to get along with others in some way. No one wants to have in class/live with/hire a person who acts clueless.

     •Thread Starter
 

9/26/2025 11:26 pm  #4


Re: Hi everyone and news

Just an add on:
  I feel guilty that I dread her coming over, but it just feels like a big iceberg parked in the living room when she is here. She always seems so…idk, blank? Like she’s not part of anything going on, and stuck in her own head. It sucks.
  I hope the counseling yields results, or this poor kid is going to have a damn hard time.

Last edited by Dahlia8448 (9/26/2025 11:32 pm)

     •Thread Starter
 

9/27/2025 9:52 pm  #5


Re: Hi everyone and news

Thank you, I hope so too. Turns out she also lies about dumb things, another thing I found out this weekend.
Her mums a big liar, honestly, so I see where she gets it from. I don’t think M lying is malice, just learned behaviour and laziness combined.
  I’m hoping on all the stars that this counseling does something, because I’m tired of watching her do all the things that will hurt her, not help her.

     •Thread Starter
 

9/28/2025 7:22 am  #6


Re: Hi everyone and news

Dahlia8448 wrote:

Thank you, I hope so too. Turns out she also lies about dumb things, another thing I found out this weekend.
Her mums a big liar, honestly, so I see where she gets it from. I don’t think M lying is malice, just learned behaviour and laziness combined.
I’m hoping on all the stars that this counseling does something, because I’m tired of watching her do all the things that will hurt her, not help her.

Sadly there are times when all you can do is watch. But remember, this is not for you to apologize for or take responsibility for. Many times we simply have no power over what we're seeing unfold. 

 

9/28/2025 8:07 am  #7


Re: Hi everyone and news

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies!

     •Thread Starter
 

9/28/2025 5:48 pm  #8


Re: Hi everyone and news

I like this take on it. …because really, no one is chomping at the bit to deal with another family’s drama.
  Is my family drama free? lol no, but they live very far away and do not come and sulk on his couch every weekend!

Last edited by Dahlia8448 (9/28/2025 5:49 pm)

     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera