Step Chat - a safe place where stepparents can vent
Welcome!!!


October fun facts

https://www.almanac.com/content/month-october-holidays-fun-facts-folklore





You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2025 12:37 pm  #1


Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

Im sorry I didn't see the check in posts - Im still getting my ducks in their rows, and they keep moving around! jk.
Yes, its been a wild ride. Its been almost 3 months now, which sounds like a long time, but so much has happened. The attack has been on my mind every day, but mostly at night when Im at home alone.
Ive filed for divorce, and its been a few weeks. Since then the boat was taken (bad on him!), and a few of his "friends" have texted asking for things like titles and his apple watch.

"For all inquiries contact my lawyer at .... and by the way never contact me again".

September 17, his criminal lawyer will meet with the prosecutor to "negotiate" according to the victims advocate. He is pleading not guilty, but that could change.

On the family court front, he didnt show up to his continuance - and we did and his lawyer did, and the restraining order was extended as well as they added the social media slander must stop or he is in violation.

On the social community front - I have let go of some folks. Reconnected with friends that are from way way back. One person is a widower, although they were not married - together 7 years. And she is also divorced from a narcissist. We went to jr high together. She's a business owner of a shop that is a proponent of rehabbing clothes to keep them out of landfills. She's a powerhouse against fast fashion, and very sweet. No drugs and she doesnt drink, but soapbox either. 

Another friend is online support, and she's an aesthetician helping me with my skin - wrinkles and rosacea, plus helping me through the whole social morass. The sticky ickyness of navigating the social sludge. Ive lost some "friends". I am having trouble as someone put it, separating my feelings for him from what he did (the attack and the prior verbal and emotional abuse)

I cannot understand how I can tell someone what happened, and they come back with "I don't want to get involved" or "I don't know who to believe" or "you brought it on with your evil ways". I looked that one in the eye during the Humiliation Party with the Insane Clown Posse and said "really, I made him hit me and choke me and smother me with my evil ways? I made him do that? Your as crazy as he is". In front of ex wife ICP and daughter ICP.

So, even now Im struggling with the social/community aspects of "how on earth could you continue to support this unemployed drug dealer addict abuser?"
My friend group is small. But fiercely on my side of things. Ive been going out, having fun, meeting new people and getting lots of positive male attention. Not going too deep, but its been really nice and confidence building. I didnt realize how badly I thought of myself as a woman. 
How much it affected me is dramatic accusations of hooking up with random men and the horrific accusations of molesting the dogs too. Im battling depression and sadness. But without alcohol, and medications. It seems manageable to me, because I feel my way through it and have times of joy.

More to come!

 

9/09/2025 12:54 pm  #2


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

SO glad to read your update!

I lost every "friend" that psycho exh and I shared. Every single one. People don't want to believe their fun and funny friend is capable of the gaslighting and violence. They want everything to be sunshine and fairies and good times. Well, real life can be dark and ugly and violent. So keep your rose-colored glasses and have a nice, delusional life.

It takes time, but you're getting there, dear CLove. 

 

9/09/2025 1:01 pm  #3


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

So happy to read this!! It’s a hard part of life’s journey but you are doing everything right. Time will help heal a lot of this pain. Just stay focused and true to yourself. Big hugs!!

 

9/09/2025 1:26 pm  #4


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

So glad to see you checking in.
Unfortunately, you have to sometimes just be comforted that you know your own truth.. and that what he has been spreading is not that.
Continue to use your atty as a resource and stay vigilant in keeping your circle small and yourself safe.
It's good that you are feeling positive about yourself, but I would be very cautious about any interraction with anyone in any kind of romantic way.. for multiple reasons. One, it could be a trigger for your unstable EX.. .it could be used as "smoke.. to where there was truth to some of what he is saying".. and you want to be able to be truthfully impeccable and above any reproach with out any appearance of impropriety.. not just not any impropriety.. the APPEARANCE of it.. don't allow yourself to be caught in some compromising situation.. even if it is mostly innocent.
Now is the time to be laser focused on your split and maximizing that outcome.. personal relationships and rebuilding that part of your life needs to come later.. once the dust has settled.. and you have hopefully moved out of your local area/home.

 

9/09/2025 2:19 pm  #5


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

Hey darlin Clove - I know girl. I know.

The cognitive dissonance took a while for me to work through. The brain and the heart take some time to get on the same page.

IF he's a narcissist, and all signs point in that direction, he totally messed with your head. The process of mind f*ckery is so complete, it takes a lot of time to deprogram.

I realized after leaving my 2nd husband (covert narcissist) that all that love I felt was just him reflecting my love back to me. It was NEVER him. He was just a good actor - wearing a mask - and pretending to be so in sync with me in the early days. What followed was a conditioning of my mind so that over time, I would get the love high over the mere breadcrumbs he would give me. He showed me a whole loaf (which he stole from me) and then he'd devalue me and offer me smaller and smaller pieces of that loaf until all he'd give me was crumbs - and I was so thrilled, it made me even more attached (addicted) to him.

It's so toxic and you have to get the poison out of your veins. What helped me was reading HG Tudor. It clued me into how these people operate, and when you realize that they are empty people who actually hate themselves and use people to fill their emptiness, you'll realize that any good you saw was mostly performative or something they borrowed from you.

(((hugs)))


Formerly: BrightFuture, futurobrilliante, and la_dulce_vida
 

9/09/2025 2:37 pm  #6


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

Honestly I think the friend pool you were swimming in with your ex aren't exactly of good character or value, so honestly it's not a loss that your circle has shrunk.  Glad you are doing okay!

 

9/10/2025 6:28 pm  #7


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

CLove.  It's been awhile.  I did read of your recent trauma and regret not chiming in sooner.

Girl, go with the lawyering up.  Don't deal with him or his posse any more.  Start to heal.

From my experience, a small but loyal friend circle is the best.  They know you.  They got you.  No need for for hundreds of social media 'friends' who won't ever help in a time of need.

Keep being strong!  One day at a time is a cliche, but it's true.  I hope the courts can recommend some counseling services for you?  Many communities offer it for free, especially for trauma survivors like yourself.

I admire your courage, keep going!!!

 

9/23/2025 7:04 pm  #8


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

Great update!  Keep holding your own!

 

9/24/2025 2:37 pm  #9


Re: Clove Check in - Thanks Everyone!!!

CLove I missed the background, I've been MIA from Steptalk for so long. But I am so glad to see you've come out and you're on your way to better and brighter things. I hope he gets what's coming to him!

 

Board footera