September fun facts
https://www.almanac.com/content/month-september-holidays-fun-facts-folklore
#cc6600
Offline
Wife has been venting constantly about SD13 and honestly I am right there with her. The disrespect has gotten out of control. Insults, cussing, physical anger, etc. SD13 is not just snapping at DW anymore, she gives me attitude too. I will say something simple, like reminding her to put her dishes away, and she walks off mid sentence or cusses at me like I am not even worth listening to. It is uncomfortable living with someone who treats you like you are invisible or annoying every time you open your mouth. It's most at peace when she's away at BD.DW has tried everything. She grounds her, she takes away makeup, she takes the phone, firm sit downs, talks, she sets limits, all of it. Nothing changes. SD13 just gets more angry and more disrespectful. The worst part is that when she does not like the consequence, she simply leaves the house. She walks out the door and disappears for hours at a time. No checking in, no answering texts, no telling us where she is. DW is always stressing.I know she is 13 and overwhelmed, but her choices make things ten times harder. She does not want rules, she does not want structure, and she definitely does not want to listen to me. I try to keep a calm tone. I try to not sound like I am taking over parenting. But it does not matter. She treats me like I am the villain no matter how gentle I try to be. I cannot even ask a basic question without attitude coming back at me.DW is pregnant, tired, dealing with toddlers (DD3, DS1) hanging off her 24/7. She does not have the energy to constantly police SD13, but whenever she tries to enforce anything, SD13 escalates. And then we spend the rest of the night trying to settle the toddlers because the whole atmosphere in the house shifts. My DS from previous marriage is an adult with kids. I already lived through the teen years once, but this level of disrespect and running off is new for me.I feel stuck. If I discipline her, I overstep. If I do nothing, I am not supporting DW. If I try to talk to SD13, she shuts down or gets snappy. And honestly, I am tired. The whole house walks on eggshells because we never know when she is going to blow up or storm out.DW is stressed to the max. I am constantly frustrated and trying not to take anything personally even though she directs some of the worst attitude at me.Just leaving this here. It has been a lot lately.
Offline
I am probably the outlier here with my approach but when my own daughters (now aged 41 and 43) were 13/14 I allowed them quite a lot of freedom to run their own lives, whilst keeping an eye on proceedings. Maybe letting SD13 feel like a bit more of a grown up might help. My 15 yr old grandson has been complaining for years that my daughter micro-manages him and treats him like a toddler. Maybe that is how SD13 feels.
Offline
@kas, I get what you are saying and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I really do think some teens respond better when they feel trusted and treated like young adults. The problem here is that SD13 already gets plenty of freedom. Honestly, probably more than most kids her age since DW and I try not to dwell so much on her. DW gives her space, lets her make choices, and only steps in when the behavior crosses a line.The issue is not lack of freedom. The issue is what she does with it. It is unsafe. DW struggles to ignore it. It doesn't affect me but DW is on my back about it.On top of that, she is extremely disrespectful. Not just to DW but to me too. DW can barely say a normal sentence without attitude coming back. We are not micromanaging her. We are literally just asking for basic respect and communication. Things like letting us know where she is, putting her dishes away, coming home at a reasonable time. Very normal expectations.I and DW are open to giving her more autonomy where it makes sense. DW just does not know how to do that safely when she uses that freedom to run off whenever she wants.Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Last edited by BlendedMess (12/01/2025 11:56 pm)
Offline

SD13 already gets plenty of freedom.
.... since DW and I try not to dwell so much on her.
DW....only steps in when the behavior crosses a line.
Why do I feel like SD is silently screaming for attention? It sounds like you're both letting her run free thinking that's what you should do when 13 year olds need guidance and structure.
Offline

I've read a couple of books that may be helpful "How to talk so your teens will listen and listen so your teens will talk" and "Stop Struggling with your Teen"
Good luck, the teen years are challenging. Is there any other trusted adult that your SD could spend time with or even live with for awhile? Your poor wife is probably exhausted. What about boarding school? I also highly recommend the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program. Maybe consider getting her a Big Sister. It does sound like she is desperate for attention and needs good role models.
Last edited by Meera (12/01/2025 11:13 pm)
Offline
@Aniki, I get where you’re coming from, thanks for the perspective Aniki. When DW does try to give SD13 structure, it goes in one ear and out the other. DW sits her down almost every week for a quick talk, but SD just shuts down. She’s very quiet and reserved if you leave her alone, but the moment you try to say or do anything, she’s instantly on fire. DW even dragged her to counselling once through Student Services, and that went horribly. She’s offered therapy, other professionals, different options, all SD says is, “No, they can’t fix me.” At this point DW is exhausted from the constant battles whenever she approaches her, but if she doesn’t approach her, SD is basically off a leash. DW’s friends and even her OBGYN suggested trying to include SD13 more often, but that just makes her angrier. So it’s not really about giving her more or less freedom, it’s that nothing seems to land no matter which approach we try.
Last edited by BlendedMess (12/01/2025 11:57 pm)
Offline
Thank you for the suggestions @Meera, I honestly appreciate it. DW is definitely exhausted, and we’re trying to look at every angle, but it’s complicated. SD doesn’t really have another trusted adult she’d willingly spend time with, she goes to BD's house weekly. BD would not agree to boarding school. Counsellor assumed she struggles with feeling unwanted, so sending her away isn’t something DW would want to consider unless there was absolutely no other option. DW tries to include her after the counsellor said that, but SD finds it "annoying." We’ve tried involving counsellors, teachers, and other supports, but she shuts down the moment anyone tries to connect with her. I’m open to looking into Big Brothers/Big Sisters. It does feel like she’s craving attention, but she rejects every form of support the moment it shows up. That’s the part we’re struggling to get past.
Last edited by BlendedMess (12/01/2025 11:57 pm)
Offline
I'm not sure how long you've known SD, nor whether you got along with her prior to her teen phase, but I just wanted to chime in to say that it's a lot more difficult to weather the bad times if you didn't already have a bond and history with the child. It sounds like you want advice for your wife, but make sure you have compassion for yourself too.
Offline
Tryingjusttrying wrote:
I'm not sure how long you've known SD, nor whether you got along with her prior to her teen phase, but I just wanted to chime in to say that it's a lot more difficult to weather the bad times if you didn't already have a bond and history with the child. It sounds like you want advice for your wife, but make sure you have compassion for yourself too.
Thank you for your words. I've known SD since she was 8 years old. She has never been pleased with sharing her mother with others - it's a ridiculous personal issue she carries.
Offline
BlendedMess wrote:
Tryingjusttrying wrote:
I'm not sure how long you've known SD, nor whether you got along with her prior to her teen phase, but I just wanted to chime in to say that it's a lot more difficult to weather the bad times if you didn't already have a bond and history with the child. It sounds like you want advice for your wife, but make sure you have compassion for yourself too.
Thank you for your words. I've known SD since she was 8 years old. She has never been pleased with sharing her mother with others - it's a ridiculous personal issue she carries.
Yes, many of us are quite aware of that "personal issue". The green-eyed monster can wreak a lot of havoc. Don't let it drag you down!
Offline
SD13 needs structure and boundaries and kids do need to face consequences for poor choices. She will not naturally respect rules without limits and failing to enforce discipline consistently can lead to worse outcomes later in life. I also understand your point that kids sometimes need to learn the hard way and that consequences must be clear and unavoidable. I do not disagree with that in principle.That said, some of the approaches are not safe or realistic in our situation. DW has a past CPS history that still affects how any situation is interpreted. Even though the files were cleared long before I came into the picture, anything that could be seen as harsh or neglectful could trigger a report. With two toddlers and a baby on the way, DW cannot risk something being misread. That is why escalating punishment to the extreme such as stripping her room to bare walls, involving police repeatedly, or publicly humiliating her is not something we can safely do. The first time SD13 ran away, she was gone until two in the morning. Police were called, and instead of focusing on SD13, they directed most of their frustration at DW. That experience alone shows how quickly things can escalate in a way that is out of our control.DW already confiscates everything for prolonged periods of time, she only gets her device back when she returns to her BD's house. SD13 is already making herself suffer. She refuses her room and refuses her bed that has been newly moved to the basement as her old room has been stripped for the nursery already. She personally chooses to sleep on a blanket on the basement floorboards. DW chooses her battles, and if SD does it out of stubborness or drama, DW and I do not give an ef. DW thinks adding more consequences on top of her own self-imposed suffering does not make her behave better. DW's goal is to enforce structure and discipline but also to keep her safe and prevent her emotional state from tipping into something irreversible, as she carries that worry atop everything else. I try to support her.DW has dragged SD to CBT before - did not go well. Every teen is different and SD13 is not the same as others, DW implies. That is why the methods have to consider DW’s past, the risk to the younger children, and the fact that piling suffering on top of suffering can be dangerous. We are trying to navigate the balance between firm consequences and keeping her safe. The LO's are kept away from her as much as possible throughout it all, of course.
SD is at BD’s this week, and honestly the break is needed. We are just trying to keep the peace while keeping everyone safe and functioning.