Step Chat - a safe place where stepparents can vent
Welcome!!!


September fun facts

https://www.almanac.com/content/month-september-holidays-fun-facts-folklore





You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2026 11:03 pm  #1


I have a question

Does anyone else’s BM bring up the past EVERY time you and DH/your partner show up at the same event?
   I have since bowed out of most events with BM present, not for this reason alone but a host of them.
I only go if it’s absolutely necessary, which is hardly ever.
   But anytime we would show up and BM was there as well…kids concert, special occasion dinner for one of the kids etc..at some point in the proceedings BM does the “‘member when?” Routine. Good memories, not so good memories, etc.  Last time it happened BM turned to him and said “your old job was pretty good, wasn’t it?” Talking about when my partner did construction waaay back in the day.  Partner says no, it wasn’t that great but it paid the bills. BM keeps trying to persuade him no, it was good, despite him saying “no” twice in a row.
   They have been divorced for well over a decade now. This seems bonkers to me.

 

9/26/2026 11:04 am  #2


Re: I have a question

Not BM (because we’ve been in the same room exactly once), but SD. The “remember when” game was definitely used as a way to exclude me. But DH played right along because it meant SD was paying attention to him. Took a major meltdown before DH had to acknowledge how awful it was for me.

Can’t do anything about BM’s (or SD’s) game playing, but your DH seems to deflect the nonsense instead of getting caught in the trap.

 

9/26/2026 11:26 am  #3


Re: I have a question

I haven't been at an event BM was at, for many years. However, DH still goes to the SDs' stuff, BM is always there of course.  They usually have a meal afterwards, at which BM always nastily teases DH, we think to impress the SDs, which I am glad to say doesn't work.  When will these BMs realise they are old news and of no interest any more? 

 

9/27/2026 8:13 am  #4


Re: I have a question

BM here used to do that (I haven't seen her in several years) almost obsessively. An example was when we were all at dinner together a long time ago she kept looking at DH and saying things (repeatedly) like, "Remember when we went to Switzerland and . . . .?"  Then she'd look at me and tell the story. Then she asked, "Have you ever been to Switzerland?" lol. As our old friend here used to say, wash, rinse, repeat.  It IS bonkers. 

When we attended SD's wedding, I sat next to BM at the rehearsal dinner. On purpose. Because, from the way everyone was acting toward us, I knew they had all been told that DH and I were monsters. So, I  chatted her up, then I unloaded on her about our trip to Europe. muhahhaha. We were treated horribly during the whole event, but I very publicly hugged her when we left the reception. Petty but enjoyable. 


When someone shows you who they are, believe them. 
 

Yesterday 8:18 am  #5


Re: I have a question

Kes wrote:

I haven't been at an event BM was at, for many years. However, DH still goes to the SDs' stuff, BM is always there of course.  They usually have a meal afterwards, at which BM always nastily teases DH, we think to impress the SDs, which I am glad to say doesn't work.  When will these BMs realise they are old news and of no interest any more? 

 
I think this is really interesting, as my partner was painted as the bad guy for a long time, and now kids are older it’s starting to wear thin.

     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera